Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Wrongful Birth

"If only I had known my baby was going to have Down's Syndrome, I never would've allowed him to be born"
The Ohio Senate yesterday voted 23-9 to prohibit lawsuits against doctors who negligently fail to inform a pregnant patient that her unborn child may have profound defects, preventing her from considering an abortion.

One Democrat joined the Republican majority in support of the bill, which Republicans characterized as closing the door in advance to a form of litigation Ohio courts have yet to recognize. Democrats countered that the measure is an assault on a woman's right to choose.
Every parent, well not every, but many parents, including myself, would want to know. What a ridiculously tough situation to be placed in, knowing before the birth that your child would have a severe congenital disability. However, should doctors not counseling testing be held responsible if the child does have deficits?

Probably not. But there are very legitimate purposes for having your child tested, like I said, despite my anti-abortion views I would want to know. Caring for such children takes considerable planning, setting up support systems, dealing with the emotional stress of the news all of which can be aided by the extra time.

H/T Kevin, MD

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home