Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, February 06, 2006

Leave It Behind

Shadowing a peds cardiac surgeon made me want to come to medical school. I understand the current status of cardiothoracic surgery (its not been so good) and I know there's much that might influence my decision that I won't experience until I get into the hospital during third year. All that being said, there's no doubt I came into medical school wanting to be a pediatric cardiac surgeon and still do.

All that to introduce an AP article about congenital heart repair patients all grown up:
Only recently have enough of the early survivors reached adulthood for doctors to notice a disturbing trend: Starting about 20 years after childhood surgery, the risk for some serious problems -- irregular heartbeats, enlarged hearts, heart failure, occasionally even sudden death -- begins to rise among people who had complex defects repaired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home