Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, January 06, 2006

Lone Survivor

Updates on the lone survivor of that terrible mining accident in West Virginia. He's in a medically induced coma and undergoing hyperbaric oxygen treatments.

Carbon monoxide has a much higher affinity for hemoglobin than oxygen and so displaces it in the blood, lowering the body's oxygen carrying capacity, and depriving vital organs of oxygen.

An NEJM study found hyperbaric oxygen treatments within 24 hours reduces the chance of cognitive disability after carbon monoxide poisoning. Obviously, this miner is outside that time frame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home